Pages

Sunday 19 May 2013

SUNBLOCK

Hello! Admin LT here :) As you can see from my self-description, I am someone who cannot overemphasize the importance of sunblock! So, I'm going to start my first post with reviews of the 4 sunblocks that I currently own. First 3 is for the face and the last for body.

I use them interchangeably depending on where I'm going. Alright, let's start!

Left: Simple Face Protector Lotion Right: Garnier Light BB Moisturiser
Bottom: Clinique Super City Block

Simple Face Protector Lotion

Information - It is formulated with oat-beta-glucan (which gives the lotions its anti-irritant properties) and green tea. 100% perfume and colour free. It is also non-pore blocking and has anti-oxidant properties. SPF 35.

I use this when I go swimming because it is supposed to prevent skin allergies and we all know how dirty swimming pool water can get. It doesn't leave a oily finish to the face, maybe just a slight shimmery feel. Although, it doesn't say that it is waterproof, the lotion doesn't get into my eye unless I accidentally rubbed it in. So, I would recommend this to people with sensitive skin, prone to allergies and loves swimming like me! :D

Garnier Light BB Moisturiser

Information - A 10-in-1 BB cream and sunblock that gives an instant fairness and moisturises at the same time. Oil free and won't clog pores, suitable for all skin types and tones. It also has pure lemon essence and mineral pigments. SPF 26 (anti UVB) and PA+++ (anti UVA)

I use this when I am going out to shop or for gathering with friends. It spreads on easily and do makes my skin look fairer and porcelain-like BUT it is definitely not for all skin tones. It reveals two slightly different tones between my face and neck when I first used it. So if you are of average Singaporean or slightly darker skin tone, go easy on this BB cream and remember to apply some on the neck to lessen the tone difference. Try to spread the lotion evenly especially on areas where you have concaved pimple scars or around the nose where black heads are most obvious. If not, it will look powdery around these areas and you will look like you have a strawberry nose. This BB cream also comes off when I perspire. I recommend that you use this only if you will stay in air-conditioned places most of the day. If not, buy something else.

Clinique Super City Block

Information - Oil free and safe under eye area. Suitable as under make-up primer or as sunblock on its own. Has anti-oxidant properties and 100% fragrance free. SPF 40 protection against both UVA and UVB

I put this on daily before I leave house. It doesn't change my skin tone and adds only a slight shimmery touch. Easy to put on but is not waterproof :( I personally like the SPF 40 part since its so sunny and hot here in Singapore so I want maximum protection that I can afford. I would recommend this but it might be a little pricey looking at the brand. My sister bought it so I have no idea. Do let me know in the comments if you know how much it is!

Extra: Sunplay

I tried the sample version of its SPF 80 sunblock and it was great! I finished it during my outdoor camp and I didn't get tanned after the camp. It is non-oily and also leaves at most a slight shimmery feel after I put it on. I am waiting to finish my current NIVEA body sunblock before I change to Sunplay.



NIVEA Sun

Information - It provides immediate protection against both UVA and UVB with moisturising effects and collagen protection. This is non-sticky and water-resistance

When I say that I want to change my sunblock, it doesn't mean this current one is bad. It works fine for me too, I just like to try different stuff and find the most suitable one. :) I use this when I go for a swim in the morning because it has immediate protection (it's already hard for me to wake up in the morning, I can't wake up 20mins in advance to put on sunblock man) and water-resistance. Two things I don't like about it is that it is a little sticky and oily when its not supposed to be and has a certain smell to it. The smell is not bad but it just tells people that I put something on. I would personally prefer fragrance free products.


I know many people do know about the importance of sunblock but are not sure what SPF or PA means and what SPF/PA levels do they need. Also, what is UVA and UVB? Which one do we need to guard against?

Here goes!
*Disclaimer* I am really no expert at this but I try to search for credible information. Follow at your own risk.

"The Sun Protection Factor (SPF) represents a time factor that delays the appearance of sunburn under standardised conditions: under sun giving off UVB and UVA rays and for a quantity of 2 mg/cm² of photoprotective product applied on the skin.

If the skin becomes sunburned, without protection, after 15 minutes’ exposure, with a SPF 10 photoprotective product, this will only occur after 10 x 15 minutes, i.e. 150 minutes, under the same exposure conditions."



















Source: http://www.bioderma.com/en/dermatological-advice/sun-care/what-does-spf-mean.html

Bascially, UVA and UVB are both the sun radiations that differ in wavelength but both contributes to "premature skin aging, eye damage (including cataracts), and skin cancers. They also suppress the immune system, reducing your ability to fight off these and other maladies." If you are interested to know more, click on the link below!

Source: http://www.skincancer.org/prevention/uva-and-uvb/understanding-uva-and-uvb

The sun is like a double-edged sword. It helps the absorption of Vitamin D and calcium but too much unprotected exposure can lead to the undesirable consequences I mentioned above.

That's all I have for sunblocks! Next time before you step out of your house, remember to protect your skin first!

No comments: